Evidence by condition
The following studies are examples of high quality studies which are positive and have not been refuted by any other directly comparable studies i.e. testing the same homeopathic treatment for the same condition:
- Diarrhoea: Individualised homeopathic treatment for diarrhoea in children. A meta-analysis of three placebo-controlled randomised trials by Jacobs et al. 2003 showed that homeopathic treatment reduced the duration of diarrhea (p=0.008).1
- Otitis media: Significant results found in two studies for the individualised treatment of ear infections in children 2,3
- Allergic rhinitis: The homeopathic medicines Galphimia glauca (meta-analysis)4 and Pollen 30c5 were found to be efficacious in the treatment of hay fever.
- Influenza: The homeopathic medicine Oscillococcinum for the treatment of influenza.6 This Cochrane review showed that Oscillococcinum was effective at treating influenza, but ineffective for preventing it.
- Vertigo: The complex homeopathic medicine Vertigoheel for vertigo.7
These studies highlight homeopathic treatments which should be explored through further research and could potentially be used more widely.
- Jacobs, J., Jonas, W. B., Jiménez-Pérez, M. & Crothers, D. Homeopathy for childhood diarrhea: combined results and metaanalysis from three randomized, controlled clinical trials.Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J., 2003; 22:229–234 | PubMed
- Jacobs J, Springer DA, Crothers D. Homeopathic treatment of acute otitis media in children: a preliminary randomized placebo-controlled trial. Pediatr Infect Dis J., 2001; 20(2): 177-83 | PubMed
- Sinha, M. N. et al. Randomized controlled pilot study to compare Homeopathy and Conventional therapy in Acute Otitis Media. Homeopat. J. Fac. Homeopat., 2012;101:5–12 | PubMed
- Wiesenauer and Lüdtke. A meta analysis of the homeopathic treatment of pollinosis with Galphimia glauca. Forsch. Komplementärmed., 1996; 3: 230-234 | Link
- Reilly, D. T., Taylor, M. A., et al. “Is homoeopathy a placebo response? Controlled trial of homoeopathic potency, with pollen in hayfever as model.” Lancet, 1986;2(8512):881-886 | PubMed
- Mathie, R. T., Frye, J. & Fisher, P. Homeopathic Oscillococcinum(®) for preventing and treating influenza and influenza-like illness.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev., 2012;12:CD001957 | PubMed
- Schneider et al. Treatment of vertigo with a homeopathic complex remedy compared with usual treatments – a meta-analysis of clinical trials, Arzneim.-Forschung, 2005;55(1):23-29 | PubMed